This French Apple Tart With Shortbread Cookie Crust holds delicious apples surrounded in a creamy custard baked to perfection on top the butteriest shortbread glazed for that special tart occasion.
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some of the links you will see on The Recipe Patch are affiliate links, meaning that, at no cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase
When everyone has had their fill of picking apples it would be time for some cider and fresh donuts for the ride home. It was time to get out my bowls and start preparing the apples for my favorite apple recipe, French Apple Tart With Shortbread Cookie Crust.
Ingredients you will need to make French Apple Tart With Shortbread Cookie Crust
2 sticks of butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
6 medium apples, peeled, pitted, and sliced
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup peach preserves
3 tbs honey
But I also love it with ice cream. Sit back and enjoy the view.
Now isn’t that easy and delicious?
French Apple Tart With Shortbread Cookie Crust
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 medium apples peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 3 tbs honey
- To make the crust cream butter, and powdered sugar together slowly in a mixer and combine . Add the flour. Add mixture to tart pan and press into the bottom and sides of an ungreased 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Set tart pan with crust in fridge while you prepare the apples
- Heat oven temperature to 350°F.
- Peel and remove the core and seeds. Thinly slice the apples. To keep them from turning brown sprinkle with fruit fresh. (Fruit fresh works wonders and does not add anything to the taste of the apples.
- Arrange the apple slices in overlapping circles on top of the crust, alternating directions with each circle until the tart pan is full. Place apples closely together because apples can shrink during baking.
- Mix together the egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture gets light yellow in color
- Add 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 heavy whipped cream and 1/4 cup flour and beat until smooth. Carefully pour the custard mixture over the apples so they don't shift in the pan.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the custard sets and is pale golden in color.
- Do not to over bake.
- Remove from the oven and take your 1/2 cup os peach preserves and 3 tablespoons of honey and heat in the microwave for 10 seconds. Brush with a pastry burst the entire top of the tart for a beautiful shine.
- Place the tart pan on a wire rack to cool. When the pan is cool, lift the the side wall of the pan off.
- Tart is ready to serve.
My name is Mary. Here at The Recipe Patch you will find a garden full of recipes to make life easy and delicious. I hope you find a new recipe to share with your friends and family. There is something for every occasion…. Let’s get to work… or play!