Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts
I love to have in my recipe arsenal some recipes that are easy to put together and don’t make a big mess cooking. I love meals that can be ready in under an hour and use one skillet and one bowl. This recipe for Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts fits. Boneless chicken breasts sliced open to make a pocket, stuffed with a parmesan cheesy spinach stuffing and wrapped in Prosciutto to add sweetness and flavor.
It’s this easy…
Slice open chicken.
Sounds so easy doesn’t it?
What is Prosciutto?
You may not be familiar with and ask what is Prosciutto? Prosciutto is a type of Italian dry-cured ham, typically sliced very thinly, and can be served uncooked because of the curing process. However, because of the curing process it really isn’t raw. The quality in the Prosciutto is in how it is cured. The process pulls out the moisture and concentrates the flavor. Though you can eat it “raw”, you can also add it to recipes like this Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts cooked and it adds a different flavor. Coincidentally, it helps keep the chicken moist.
This is now one of my favorite quick and easy meals to cook and clean up just like Easy Creamy Tuscan Chicken is, and Honey Garlic Shrimp Quick And Easy is. Oh by the way, there’s one more Garlic Lemon Shrimp Scampi: 30 minute dinner . A friend of mine was loving enough to come over and help cook (well she did all the work) this dinner. Cooking with someone else is so much more fun and easy! We had our own time cooking for The Recipe Patch and I am so thankful for the help.
How To Wrap The Chicken
For this recipe we are wrapping the Prosciutto around the chicken which helps protect the stuffing to keep it from oozing out during cooking. Carefully pick up your delicate slice of Prosciutto and be careful not to rip it. Sometimes they do, but you can just gently lift and wrap so most of the chicken is covered. Use your toothpicks to keep the breast from opening. It’s that easy.
This recipe is low carb, Keto friendly, and relatively healthy. It is lower in calories and fat content than bacon.
There is some controversy about whether Prosciutto is good for you or not. You can read about it here and decide for yourself. https://www.nutritionadvance.com/what-is-prosciutto/
Another option if you don’t want the extra calories or fat or for a completely different meal is to bake the chicken breast after filling them. Without wrapping the chicken they are delicious that way as well. Bake them in an oven without searing for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
How to Make Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Get your skillet ready. I love using my Iron cast skillet. You can sear in it and then transfer it right into the oven to finish roasting.
Remove your chicken from it’s packaging, and slice them open, not all the way through, making a pocket.
Get your ingredients measured and ready
Place your ingredients for the filling in a medium bowl
Mix them together
Fill chicken breast with the filling. Don’t be stingy! Fill them up! Yes this is the messy part! Wash hands after working with chicken. Optional to wear gloves with prep.
Wrap slices of Prosciutto around the stuffed chicken breasts overlapping a little. Depending on the size of your pieces of chicken you may need more than one slice. My boneless chicken pieces were really large. So for these you would need 3-4 slices each. Also, another option is to cut chicken breasts in half, wrap and serve with out slicing the breasts like we did in the photo below.
The Prosciutto will stick to the chicken as you wrap it, but place toothpicks strategically to hold the chicken breast together. The Prosciutto will help with that as well.
Heat skillet to high , Add olive oil and let it heat completely.
Sear both sides of the chicken breast for about 2-3 minutes per side. Ready to sear. They look good already!
After searing add 1 cup of chicken broth to skillet with chicken
The seared chicken is ready for the oven. Doesn’t that look like the beginning of a great dinner? The kitchen smelled awesome when we seared the chicken. My tummy was grumbling….
Place skillet in preheated oven at 400 degrees
Cook until temperature reaches 165 degrees about 25 minutes
Remove from the oven
Remove chicken from skillet and set on heated platter and keep warm by covering with tin foil
Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese to skillet and heat until slightly thickened.
Now isn’t that easy and delicious?
Serve with a delicious salad. That’s all you need!
Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon minced onions dried
- 6 ounces cream cheese , softened- set out ahead of time or soften at decreased temp in microwave on plate for 1 minute at power level 4
- 1/2 cup parmesan or romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 0z heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
For the filling
- in a small bowl mix together chopped spinach, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion, and salt
- Slice a pocket in the side of the chicken breast but do not cut all the way through
- Spoon spinach mixture into chicken pockets overstuffing them slightly
Prepping the chicken breast
- Carefully take the stuffed chicken breast and wrap each breast with 2-4 Prosciutto slices
- Place 2-4 toothpicks into wrapped breast to hold it together
- Heat skillet to high heat
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to skillet
- When skillet is hot add chicken breast to skillet to sear 2-3 minutes each side
- Add one cup of chicken broth or stock to skillet around chicken
- Place skillet in a preheated oven at 400 dergees for approximately 20-25 minutes
- Allow to cook in oven until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees
- Remove from oven and place on platter to stay warm
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to stock and cook until reduced and slightly thickened about 4-5 minutes. sauce will continue to thicknen as it cools
- Serve sauce over Prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts
My name is Mary. Here at The Recipe Patch you will find a garden full of recipes to make life easy and delicious. I hope you find a new recipe to share with your friends and family. There is something for every occasion…. Let’s get to work… or play!
Pin this for later