This summer Zesty Lime Quinoa Protein Salad is a terrific addition to your barbeque menu dinner. It’s loaded with fresh flavors, vegetables, zesty lime and feta to make this great side or salad to any favorite meal!
Quinoa. What is it?
How do you say that? It is pronounced Keen-Wah. This recipe should be called the “perfect” Zesty Lime Quinoa Protein Salad. It is this awesome part of the plant that we eat which is the seed, not a grain. Although we eat it like a grain it is not a grain. It is essential to us because it is a perfect protein. It is a gluten free food and an excellent source of protein for vegetarians and is known for it’s high protein content. It contains eight grams of protein per cup and it is also considered a complete protein which means it has all 9 essential amino acids that your body needs and can’t make on it’s own. Because of this Quinoa is referred to as a super food.
Zesty Lime Quinoa Protein Salad- Easy- Healthy
Quinoa is easy to cook and is good in salad, omelets and even for baking cakes. Quinoa on its own doesn’t have much of a taste but a friend of mine said it well when she said it is like a blank canvas. That means it can act as a side or salad and takes on the flavors or whatever it is paired wit. In this recipe mixed with all these terrific vegetables it takes on great depth of flavor. I like to make quinoa as a blank slate to add whatever flavors and additives that are your personal preference.
This Zesty Lime Quinoa Protein Salad is so easy and quick to put together. The fact that it is packed with protein will satisfy your hunger and hold you over for hours. Though quinoa is typically served as a side you could easily have this as your main meal. If you have never tried quinoa you really should and you will be glad you did!.
Gather your ingredients, cook the quinoa, mix, serve
Zesty Lime Quinoa Protein Salad
- 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 Cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 4 cups corn ears of grilled corn cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup chives
- 15 oz garbanzo beans can of
- 1 cup feta
- 1/4 cup lime zest
- 2 tbs lime juice from two fresh limes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs sugar
- Rinse quinoa under running water to remove any bitterness for about one minute, Drain well
- Heat 8 cups of water in medium pot until boiling, Decrease heat to a gentle simmer
- Place 4 cups of quinoa in boiling water in medium size pot. Salt to taste
- ok until quinoa has absorbed most of the water, about 10-20 minutes.
- Shut off heat, Cover pot and let sit for 5 minutes. This allows the quinoa to open up and become little fluffy pieces.
- remove and fluff with fork. Allo to cool
- Place all ingredients in a large serving bowl and mix together.
- Add dressing and toss well
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator